Welcome to the Elkhart Art League Online
The purpose of this website is to enhance the support services we provide to our members, patrons and students. We’ve provided a number of resources here for information about our activities, classes, membership levels and benefits, and opportunities to participate in the operation of our volunteer-staffed organization.
Our Purpose and Program
It is the purpose of the Elkhart Art League to elevate the art standards of this community and foster a deeper appreciation of art. Those interested in art are encouraged to develop their artistic abilities to the fullest extent.
Classes and workshops in a variety of media are offered to people of all ages. Education and enjoyment of the creative process in a relaxed friendly setting is one of our main objectives. Two major exhibits are held each year. We invite members of the Elkhart Art League as well as non-members in the community to submit artwork for consideration.
History of the Elkhart Art League
In 1925, the Artists’ Traveling Association was formed to facilitate the travel of artists on painting tours and to art shows and lectures. In 1929, a constitution was written, a more formal organization set up, and the name changed to Elkhart Art League. The contingencies of war-time affected participation in the League during World War II and later.
In 1951, a civic-minded group of artists reactivated and reorganized the League. Steady growth of interest and program has marked the years since. In 1962, the League was incorporated as a non-profit corporation. The Internal Revenue Service classifies the League as 501C3, qualifying donations to the League as tax deductible.
In 1966, the League raised funds to remodel the former dressing room building of High Dive Park at 511 Baldwin St. The building was leased through the Elkhart Parks and Recreation Department for use as our headquarters and class rooms.
In January, 2017 we moved to “The Depot” at 131 Tyler St. The High Dive Park building is being demolished to create more active space at the park.
Growth & Planning
As population and participation have increased, we have a need for increase of our facilities. We are planning a space with several classrooms and a separate gallery area where shows, meetings, programs, and perhaps small concerts or recitals could be held independently of classes. A site has not yet been obtained. A building fund has been established and donations are welcomed.